Opportunities for employment at City of Asylum/Pittsburgh are posted here regularly.
Internship Program 2019
Applications Now Closed for Summer Interns
City of Asylum seeks interns to assist the current program coordinators, supervisors and administrative staff. Once hired, interns assist in organizing weekly events, including administration, ticketing, volunteer facilitation, event set-up and other event preparation logistics. The internship is unpaid, but will be eligible for college course credit. Applicants are interviewed and hired on a rolling basis (specific start/end dates are flexible).
The ideal candidate is organized, well-spoken, and works well with people in our community of all ages, backgrounds, and organizations. Interns should be detail-oriented, and flexible about shifting priorities. The position includes event facilitation and administrative tasks on an as-needed basis. Our office environment is small and informal, but fast paced. A successful intern is someone who is independent and confident in their work. They must be willing to take on and learn new things.
- Excellent verbal, written and communication skills
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Child abuse history clearances (COA will send required forms and reimburse costs)
- Ability to handle deadlines and fast-paced situations
- Comfortable lifting anywhere from 5 to 20 lbs.
- Knowledge of WordPress, Mailchimp, SurveyMonkey, Patron Manager a plus
- Microsoft Suite, Google Drive, Social Media skills a big plus
- Background in performing arts and event planning a plus
- Patron Manager/Salesforce experience preferred
- Driver’s license and a good driving record preferred
- Assist COA staff with logistics of events at Alphabet City
- Coordinate and manage some aspects of events
- Assist with administrative, programming, and clerical tasks
- Assist with tech and audio/visual aspects of the events
- Assist in the writing of COA invitations, news, creating content, marketing materials, editing, and drafting emails
- Transcribe interviews or give interviews on a special-request basis
- Complete simple Patron Manager tasks (on-site training will be provided by administrators)
- Occasionally work with COA’s writers-in-residence on an as-needed basis
- Interns are encouraged to pitch their own long-term projects that reflect COA’s mission, and possibly create programming, develop partnerships, or do research
- Help the volunteer supervisor to organize data, schedule, scout, train, and communicate with volunteers
- Current sophomore, junior, senior or recent college graduate preferred
- Minimum age requirement is 18 years of age
- Applicants are interviewed and hired on a rolling basis (specific start/end dates are flexible)
- Summer: May- August
- Fall: September- December
- Spring: January- April
- 15-20 hours per week (some evening hours required; most events take place in the evenings and occasionally on weekends)
- Interns will be asked to sign a contract of confidentiality due to the sensitive nature of the information of our patrons and performers
To be considered for an internship, please attach a current resume and cover letter detailing your interests in our programming, relevant experiences, and your qualifications in an email to Senior Project Manager and Volunteer/Intern Coordinator Karla Lamb at email@example.com
Non-discrimination Policy: City of Asylum is committed to results-oriented management aimed at achieving equal employment opportunity and shall apply good faith efforts to seek out, employ, train, and promote underutilized women and minority group members.