Volunteering at City of Asylum
Fall 2021 Update!
City of Asylum is back indoors for in-person programming at our venue, Alphabet City. After a 1.5 year hiatus we are excited, and in need of volunteers! From concerts to readings to film screenings and beyond, there are lots of great programs that we’re sure you’ll love and that need a helping hand. Volunteers must be vaccinated.
Volunteer Tasks & Roles
City of Asylum hosts free local, national, and international arts and culture events. We need the most volunteer assistance at these events, where volunteers make a huge difference.
We need several volunteers at each of our events to set-up chairs, sell books & merchandise, register guests, usher, take pictures, and help clean up after the events.
Volunteers are encouraged to sit with the audience and enjoy the events because most of the work is done in the 90 minutes before to set up the event and 30 minutes after the event ends to clean up. We are a small staff, so volunteers really help make our events a possibility. Volunteers get to work with a diverse staff, and get first-hand experience working with artists and performers. Additionally, volunteers get to be first in line at book signings, photo ops, and other perks!
- Volunteers arrive 90 minutes before the program starts
- Volunteers help set-up chairs, sell books & merchandise, register guests, usher, and take pictures
- Some work requires lifting and moving heavy objects (up to 20lbs).
*Please let us know if you are unable to perform these physical tasks.
- Clean up takes about 30 minutes after each program
- Volunteers are our ambassadors to the community. If you love meeting new people and making them feel welcomed, we’d love to have you on our team!
- Discounts at our bookstore!
- Vouchers to our in house restaurant
- Meet exciting writers & musicians!
- Attend interesting programs!
- Interact with the Northside community!
- Work with an energetic and friendly staff!
- …and a free City of Asylum T-shirt!
How to Sign Up:
Contact: Abby Lembersky
Director of Programs
Phone #: 412-435-1110
All of our Volunteer opportunities are also posted on PittsburghCares.org (Click here to be redirected to PittsburghCares.org)